A certain forest covers an area of 4200 km2 . suppose that each year this area decreases by 8.5% . what will the area be after 15 years? use the calculator provided and round your answer to the nearest square kilometer.

Accepted Solution

If the area decreases by 8.5%, that leaves 100-8.5, or 91.5% of the forest remaining. So, at the end of 15 years, you have:
(.915)^15=.2638, or 26.38% of the forest left.
.2638 x 4200=1108 km² of the forest remains